Monday, November 29, 2010

Blart #10: Wolverine

More specifically "Wolverine Slashing Prices With His Adamantium Claws,"  which is a quote from Spaced.  Simon Pegg's character Tim is working on a poster for the comic shop in which he works, but you never see the poster, hence this Blart was born.  And no, you're not missing any, I skipped from 7 to 10 - I may go back and do the two I missed at some point, but I won't be spending much time on them...  So, on to the price slash!

Wolverine (Slashing Prices With His Adamantium Claws)

And there you have it. There's more if you want it - a little step by step, but really it's not the most interesting piece to have a step by step unless you really want to know about how to do a fake screenprint in ArtRage (I guess you could modify the technique for other software too though).

Firstly I did some rough sketches - I actually did these back in September, and then stalled on it; I wasn't happy with what I had and other things came up.


You can see that the general idea behind it didn't change much, except I wasn't sure if he should be in full costume or not, or which direction he would be slashing in.  Also, some of these b-l-ow, but I don't think I used references for any of them (not that this is an excuse).

After I drew these I took a couple of reference shots of myself posing. You don't get to see those because I'm a fat hairy Welshman with my shirt off, and nobody needs to see that before whichever meal you have coming up next. I took them mostly to see f the sort of pose I had in mind was even physically possible - it turned out it was, if a little awkward.

So time passed and I didn't think I'd get back to it, until I did the following unrelated piece on the 21st, and suddenly decided I would go back to Wolverine using a similar technique.  As it turned out I liked the following piece more than the finished Wolverine.

Screen Print Test

This put me in mind of some of the screenprinting I did way back when, and I though that would be a cool look to go with a process style limited palette. Open ArtRage, start drawing:




This last coloured one had each colour on a separate layer (they didn't even need to be the right colours, but this made it easier to keep track of).  I saved each layer out as a mask (including some text I added later) and then used each of them as a stencil in ArtRage which I painted over using the roller tool (high pressure, low load, lots of thinners)  Once it was all painted up I offset and rotated some of the layers slightly to give it a more rough and sloppy feel, and that was pretty much it.  The arm looks a little short, but it's actually slightly foreshortened - I managed to make it look less so because I didn't curve the line of his glove enough, which was rather silly of me.

1 comment: