Sunday, November 21, 2010

Less Haste, More Speedpainting

Still a lot of catching up to do, still too slow in updating.  Part of the issue is that posts take a lot longer than most of the things I've been doing, so here's a catchup post with a bunch of speed paints.  I know it appears that I've been slicking on my traditional media stuff, and I have, but I have been doing a bit here and there I just haven't got around to posting any of it due to being to lazy to scan it.  I got it scanned today, but with Thanksgiving rapidly approaching I don't know when I'll get a chance to format it into presentable images, so that's to come at some point.  Anyway, on with the speed paints, after these short messages...

For this bunch of speed paints I did a bit more experimenting than for the last bunch.  There's not  a lot of gold in them, but some of them are quite presentable.  I'll comment after each one.


Time Taken - 35 Minutes
A friend of mine does a big Halloween display in his garden every year, and this was the first chance I've had to go see it.  It's pretty amazing, and this is from a photo of the Vampire and spiders that directly oversee the candy bucket.  It's not the best, but I think I did a reasonable job of capturing the webs surrounding him.  Didn't do any colour sampling on this one (Where you lift colours directly from the photograph to save time and aid accuracy) something I'm trying to do more and more to get me more used to mixing my own colours.


Time Taken - 45 Minutes
A slow one - too slow in my opinion (many of these are), but the eye came out pretty well.  Again, no colour lifted from the photo it's based on (I'd have a job, it was black and white).


Time Taken - 40 Minutes
For this one I tried laying down some perspective construction lines before starting. Worked out quite well except for the centre of the hood/bonnet, which is a little off line.  The orange/red colour was sampled, the rest was eyeballed.


Time Taken - 20 Minutes
This, and the next few, really did not turn out very well.  I guess I had no Mojo (I was sick at the time...  Sick right now as it goes, but getting better). No colour sampling...  You can tell right?


Time Taken - 30 Minutes
This could have been pretty good if I'd laid down the perspective lines as I did for the Batmobile.  I didn't though, so ick.  Live and learn I guess.


Time Taken - ? (30 to 40 minutes)
So there's a story to this one - it was done in front of an audience as a demonstration at work.  Only about 8 people turned up, but I can't remember the last time I've been so nervous.  I'm unsure of how long it took as I kept stopping to demonstrate various things before returning to the image at hand. Between being sick and nervous I could not stop sweating for the life of me.  Lots of colour samples for this one in order to relieve some of the strain.  I'm not happy with the result, but those at the meeting seemed happy enough, and it inspired a few people to take up this sort of thing themselves (and they do it better than I do; typical ;) ).


Time Taken - 30 Minutes
Well, it's Death, the Grim Reaper, etc. Not much else to say. Oh, I apparently got my mojo back though.


Time Taken - 30 Minutes
Painted from an image I found while researching a different piece (That I've haven't got around to doing yet).  I don't recall if I sampled colours or not.  Not many if I did at all though.


Time Taken - 35 Minutes
Quite pleased with this - it's a good likeness of the fellow it's based on (Friend from the UK).  He's not conveying "victory' or the number 2 with that hand by the way.  Did a little bit of colour sampling on this, but not much - Mostly the big benefit seemed to come from me laying out the proportions before hand, while for speed paints I usually just start slapping paint on and hope for the best.


Time Taken - 60 minutes
Based on the profile picture of a friend of a friend on Facebook because it was awesome.  It took a while as I was trying some new techniques, and there was no colour sampling going on.  I think I might repaint this one at some point (along with Yoda) as it doesn't do the original pic justice, and it needs doing justice.  As it happens I realised days after I painted this that I've met the model - she wasn't pulling this face at the time, so it didn't click until later.  Oh, and this is now her new profile pic - cool.


Time Taken - 40 Minutes
More new techniques being employed here, and if it wasn't for her huge forehead and hair I think I'd be quite pleased with it.  No colour sampling either.


Time Taken - 15 Minutes
It all went sort of wrong on this one, so when I was interrupted after 15 minutes and couldn't continue I was secretly happy.  See, I still show you shit as well as the shine ;)

You thought I was kidding when I said I had plenty to catch up on didn't you?  Wasn't though was I?  No :)

No comments:

Post a Comment