Friday, September 9, 2011

The Incredibly Slow Speed Paint Show!

In all honesty I ran out of great titles for speed paint posts some considerable time ago, we'll just have to live with lame ones from now on. It's been a whopping three months since the last one, surely I've managed to crank some out in that time, right?
Well, fortunately I have, or this would be a really short post; more than I thought in fact as I really though I'd posted a bunch right before I went to the UK - turns out I was merely delusional. Let's go see what we've got then shall we.

I should warn you, more experimental stuff than usual lies ahead.


Time Taken: 50 Minutes

An experiment using wet oil paint and a round brush (which I usually avoid) in ArtRage. Looks very little like the person I was loosely basing it on, as accuracy was not the purpose. You can guess if you want. For the time I took it's pretty bad, but those wet paints are hard to work with.*


Time Taken: 30 minutes

Just a nice loose sketch for the hell of it. Trying out using very wet markers in ArtRage. Much faster than the previous two, and a lot more fun as it goes (I think it shows too).


Time Taken: 50 Minutes

Just a study to see if I could produce something with minimal reference. Had reference, but none with this lighting or angle.


Time Taken: 40 Minutes

Yet another experiment, this time with a more familiar face but in an unfamiliar setting (It's based on Solid Snake from the Metal Gear series, though Big Boss usually has that eye covered). Done in chalk, which I don't recall using before. Didn't turn out so well, but I like how his clothes came out, especially the cravat/tie/thing. I don't like the face, blech.


Time Taken: 90 Minutes

I should disqualify this from being counted as a speed paint, but really for the amount here an hour and a half is still pretty quick. Thick wet ArtRage oils with a touch of pallet knife. It's based on a photo I took at a car show about four years ago; I've always liked the photo, and for a change I have no guilt over copying something with no memory of where I found it to give credit. Incidentally there's another "Long Play" Speedpaint below.


Time Taken: 15 Minutes
A rapid-fire semi abstract face to get used to some of Art Rage's new tools. I think this is predominantly done with the pallete knife. I don't think it's good in any way, but it's certainly different (for me anyway).


Time Taken - 30 Minutes

I think this one came out really well personally, I like th ehair, which is pretty good for the time taken. The source had a tattoo as well, but I chickened out of painting it ;)


Time Taken: 45 Minutes

Clicking on this one not only expands it but also removes the bar. Obviously this may be NSFW (depending on where you work I guess). It was a colour study for a piece I was planning, but I've lost the impetus to work on it after some derision from my brother over her attire (or lack of). I'll get back to it, but probably I'll change it slightly.


Time Taken: 50 Minutes

I'm pleased with this one, though I do wish I'd spent more time on the bowl; it's a bit rough and ready. Taken from a photo of the same subject in my kitchen. It was nice actually, I saw it, grabbed my wife's phone, took a shot, uploaded it and then came up and painted it. From seeing the real thing to the finished piece was less than an hour. I didn't sample colours, and I think I eyeballed them quite well here... Actually, I don't think I sampled colours for any of this round of speed paints. Cool.


Time Taken: 40 Minutes

He's probably famous, I don't recognize him though. The original was a B&W photograph, but I added the blue green tinge. Like I say, no idea who he is, but I love the expression on his face.


Time Taken: 40 Minutes

More of a speed drawing than a speed paint, but never mind, it's here anyway. I don't like it,but lots of my friends did so I would be remiss to leave it out. As with much else this time I was just trying something new for the hell of it.


Time Taken: 45 Minutes

Are you bored yet? Because I am - mind you, typing takes longer than reading, so suck it up, just a handful more to go. Why mention this here? because it might distract you from the bloody awful picture, above. Experimenting with markers again; do not like the result.


Time Taken: 25 Minutes

This Wizard's staff has a nob on the end. He also looks a bit like Tom Baker to me. He's not though because this one is completely off the top of my head with no reference at all. Oh... You can tell... Right, moving on then...


Time Taken: 35 Minutes

My son tried to break my thumb before I painted this one (He was having a tantrum, kicked out and snapped my thumb backwards - it wasn't intentional, obviously). Despite this it turned out OK I guess. I was planning on taking it up as far as her eyes, but my aching thumb said "no thanks".


Time Taken: 30 Minutes

This was based on a thumbnail for an article on Jalopnik about the Texan wild fires. I'd just set up my new monitors, loaded ArtRage and just painted something straight from the other screen as it was at the time. That's it. It's also an experiment in ways of colouring - it's a black and white paint image with the colour airbrushed on later... I don't think it was terribly successful.


Time Taken: 65 Minutes

I was off work sick today, part of which was a horrible headache. We were watching a friends kids for a few hours in the afternoon so I snuck off and painted this to evade the noise. It actually took more than 65 Minutes because I had to keep stopping to rest my head, but combine the sessions and that was how long it took. I think it may have taken less time if I'd painted it all in one go, or if I hadn't been sick. I'm not terribly happy with it anyway; it's a Team Icarus ship from WipEout HD (That's a videogame if you were unaware), but the perspective and proportions are all a bit wonky.

That's all I have for now - next time I'll post fewer with less time between Speed Paint Posts. Mmmmm'k?



*OK, it's George Clooney. I said it looked nothing like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment