Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Best and Worst Sketching of August

Sometimes nothing goes according to plan. Take this last weekend for example. It was a long weekend, so plenty of time to do plenty of things, right? Wrong.
I had plans. I planned to speak to a friend in the UK, paint a couple of speed paints, paint with some real paint, finish the book I was reading, play video games and some traditional games with my son, make burgers on the grill/barbecue, go for pizza as a treat for the kid and so on. Almost none of this came to pass. It wasn't that anything major went wrong, but a few little things did, like my Son had a tantrum and injured my thumb with an unintentionally well aimed kick, reducing my gaming time (it hurt) and sketching/painting time (it hurt) and so on. It wasn't a bad weekend, just unproductive. I did get everything setup for a blog post though, but it hurt too much to type for long, so here it is today.

I didn't sketch as much in August as I usually do. I'm not certain why, but I put it down to a combination of Jet-lag followed by illness followed by gorilla scale allergies and the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (which has been mentioned here before of course), but if these excuses fail to please you you may inset the usual excuse instead (that I'm a lazy bum). But enough of the excuses - I did enough to post, so here they are, starting with some general sketching.

Sketching


The Good
With the exception of the woman in the lower right none of these were from reference, which is sorta cool. It would appear that I'm back on a "drawing women" kick, but the figure with their back to the camera is a man... admittedly one with a slightly girly backside. Other than the uncertainty regarding the gender of his posterior though I think it's an OK figure. I don't know why I gave the fellow in the bottom left wings, but it worked out looking cool and it seemed like a good idea at the time, so that's OK. The girl in the top right looks a little like River from Firefly but isn't based on her - I like it, but I really messed up her hand, poor girl (I really need to work on hands again soon). Oh, and the woman on the right is based on a small thumbnail of the cover of an old Beauty and the Beast DVD (I think). I like how she came out (because there's nothing wrong with coming out now is there?).


The Bad
To be fair, none of these is dreadful, with the exception of the punk looking fellow on the left (the less said about him the better), they just lack a little something here and there. The girl with the huge head amuses me, and I like how her body came out - she was in fact supposed to have a slightly enlarged head, but I overdid it, quite a lot. The portrait in the bottom right is of my friend Cath, and while it's a fine portrait (and does look a bit like her) I'm not at all happy with the way I drew her mouth, so it goes in with the bad. Sorry Cath.

Random Pose Studies



The Good
I'm not going to talk about these much as the images pretty much say it all, but it's been quite some considerable time since I did these timed pose sketches and I really need to get back to it to stay in practice (and learn by doing of course). I'll post the bad ones too, prepare yourself; these really are quite terrible.


The Bad
Speaks for itself doesn't it?

And that's it for this evening. Lots more to come, despite my lack of productivity of late. Oh, and one other note, I just got a pair of brand spanking new monitors. More about those some other time, but I thought I'd mention them now because they're really rather spiff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment