Sunday, April 24, 2011

More Speed Paints, Less Exciting Titles.

Given how busy I've been of late I didn't think I'd actually get another post done until next month, but here I am tapping away at my keyboard once again. As you may have gathered from the title of the post this one is another round up of speed paints, this time with an emphasis on "Speed."

You may recall some of the the Christmas Paints I did back in December that strayed over the self imposed line I had designated for Speed Painting, taking longer than an hour. Since then I've posted one more set of speed paints which varied wildly in the time taken, but did seem to hover around the 45 minute mark. Well, this time around I decided to deliberately step on the gas, and with a couple of exceptions these were knocked out intentionally faster than usual with a limit of 30 minutes. How were the results? Well, have a look and see for yourself...



Time Taken - 30 Minutes

Not much to say about this one, it's based on an Asian girl and doesn't look all that much like her, although you can tell her race at least. She's wearing black and shiny, but I don't think Adam Hughes (master of black and shiny) has anything to fear from me for the time being.


Time Taken - 15 Minutes

This is based on a photograph of Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester from the show Supernatural.  It looks a little like him, despite how blurred and rough it is.  I was aiming to capture a rough likeness very quickly, since the previous one looked nothing like the subject.  I think I succeeded, and for 15 minutes it's fine I guess.  Not likely to hang it on my wall though.


Time Taken - 25 Minutes

Made a right mess of the proportions on this one, but I'm quite pleased with the skin tones.  I'd like to say what it's based on, but I have no recollection.  I didn't adhere all that closely to the reference anyway.  It also puts me in mind of some paintings I've seen, but I'm not sure which ones (I know that a painting wasn't the reference since I never use them for speedpaints).


Time Taken - 40 Minutes

Yes, I spent quite a long time on this one, and it doesn't really show.  It's a dog, in the snow.  Not much else to say.

Time Taken - 45 Minutes

The less said about this one the better really.  I wasn't using any reference, but that's really no excuse to speak of.  Let's move on and I'll try to pretend this never happened while you laugh at me.  Okay?


Time Taken - 20 Minutes

Made a right plumb duff of this poor womans face, but other than that I quite like it.  I've done worse work in a longer time frame (Like the previous piece for example.  Yeah, I know, I said I would but I couldn't.  Some things are just unforgettably bad).


Time Taken - 20 Minutes

It's based on a thumbnail that io9 had on their front page a while back.  I would like you to the article, but I can never get direct links to work since they redesigned the site to have more advertising in your face, so sod that then.

Time Taken - 30 Minutes

A long time ago I was involved in creating a child safety video for the South Wales Constabulary (two of them actually, the other one is lost in the mists of time... I hope).  I didn't do much on it; I did the VO and helped behind the scenes of one of the shots but that was about it.  Anyway, to my knowledge the film was never shown to any children, but in the circles I used to hang out in the name "The Golden Helmet" lives on in infamy.  It's hilarious (if you can understand the accents), and I think you can find it on You Tube.

For a change I painted him in Photoshop rather than ArtRage.


Time Taken - 20 Minutes

It's supposed to be a caricature of James Cagney, but it didn't turn out looking much like him.  I quit elike how the eyes came out though, but the rest is a bit feeble really isn't it?


Time Taken - 40 Minutes

I had actually forgotten about the Cagney one when I started this one, otherwise I would have picked something else rather than have two in a row in Black and White.  It's some feet, and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.  That's really all I have to say about it.

Now, since more things external to my quest to become a half decent artist raise their heads daily I'm not sure I'll have much of a chance to update for a while (or much worth updating with either).  I will try and make it back for the first anniversary of the blog at the end of the month though.  I might not have anything new to show, but at least I can repost what I think was the best and worse work I've done this year eh?  Until then (if I can make it)...

No comments:

Post a Comment