Sunday, March 20, 2011

You Wait All Day for a Bus...

Aaaaand I'm sick again. This time it's more of an extended yuckiness than an all out explosive fluid explosion like a cold or the trots, but still. I joked with my wife about a month ago that it would be great to go a whole week without someone in the household being sick. It was a joke at the time, but now it's not so funny. Here's a rundown of the last few weeks (This isn't all about sickness by the way, just showing how events like to pile up - but feel free to skip over if you just want to see pictures).

I'm working on some things at work that require me to work late on a fairly regular basis (I didn't last week due to the being sick thing, but prior to that I was, and will be again). In early March my in-laws came to visit for a few days. That was nice, I like my in-laws. They left on the Saturday morning, and on that Saturday night my Mother arrived with her boyfriend. They were here for two weeks (They just got home last night). While they were here both my Son and my mother came down with something. This was one of those fluid explosion sicknesses and seemed to last for ever. They're all better now though. On top of these thing my wife has being doing handy things around the house (Shush, she likes it - go read her blog). This included fixing the Washing Machine and installing a new controller for the bathroom fan. Oh, and my Son had his birthday too, with all the chaos that entails. And my PC decided it didn't want to be online any more. And... Oh, never mind, you get the idea.

This is why it's been a while between posts. For once I can honestly say it isn't even remotely because I've been lazy, but because I haven't had a chance. Despite all this there is much to show, but not in this post. This one is just some sketches I've managed to get done over the crazy time. Later posts will have other things, including some speedpaints I thought I'd posted back in January but actually didn't and some info on some Little Big Planet stuff I did (I'll explain more later). But for now, sketchville:


The Good
Normally a lot of these probably wouldn't be in the good pile, but then normally I work from reference, at least to some degree. These were all done without any, mostly because this allowed me to grab my sketchbook and draw without needing to cast around for something to draw first. You'll note there are weapons in this and the bad pile - I had something in mind I was working toward, but I'm not sure it'll ever progress beyond these images here. You may not a lack of complete hands and feet and so forth (and those that are there are poor). Well, I just started on the anatomy of feet, and hands will be along after that - until then I'll still need reference for either to look decent. In fact this whole thing (Three weeks of drawing with no reference) has been quite useful for identifying areas I still need a bit of work, those where I need a lot of work, and those where I haven't even started working.


The Bad
I hate to admit it, but aspects of some of these ones aren't bad really, but then they're spoiled by something else in the same image; the hand on that guy to the right, the connection between torso and hips on that girl to the left. Aspects of these are great, but as a whole; yuck. Again, this is great for showing me where I need to put in work for improvement, but it's rather sad to be publicly showing just how much further I need to go to be decent with any regularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment