Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sketchy Von Sketcherson

I've been putting off updating the past few weeks because I didn't feel I had enough to warrant a post. Eventually, yesterday, I thought I should probably just gather what I could so it didn't look like I'd gone to Bermuda and been lost in the Triangle. Imagine my surprise when I discovered a huge amount of stuff to post. Well, alright, not huge, but far more than I've happily posted alone in the past.

A further surprise was discovering that very little of it was all out bad - this is funny because while drawing it I thought most of it was dreadful, and bemoaned losing my mojo to sickness. Perhaps I just lost my perspective... Or perhaps I've lost it now because I'm sick, again (I know, this winter's been crazy for teh sikcies). Either way, there's no good or bad this time, just "Not so bad" and "Not so good".  I'll start with some portrait sketches.


Not so Bad
Some of these look nothing like the folks they're based on, but look like quite nice pictures in their own right (That's supposed to be Robert Duval int he hat for example). Others, like Jezza Clarkson in the middle there, look quite like themselves. Still more, such as the girl in the top right and centre left, aren't based on anyone, but I still quite like them.


Not so Good
See? None of these are truly dreadful, and those that come close to dreadfulville are detoured away by having an odd charm to them. I have an especial fondness for the thumbs up chap with a mustache for some reason. Only one of these is based on reference. I think it's obvious enough that I'll let you work out which for yourselves.

Now it's time to move on to some figure and gesture sketching


Not so Bad
Nothing terribly exciting here - most, though not all, are based off reference such as the random pose viewer or anatomy books, but while not being terribly exciting they are fairly good. I've even used perspective on a couple of them...


Not so Good
Now I'm looking at them again I think there are some that should have been in the Not So bad image and some of those that should be here. Lots of these are borderline "okay" (despite that poor woman in the top right's hideous visage). I quite like the little fight scene, and Mopey Joe in the top left looks oddly like someone I know.

Next up, prepare yourselves, it's time for something horrible!


Feet
Feet are gross aren't they? Except for you, with your foot fetish; step back please and try and hide the grin. So, kinda icky, but also considered rather hard to draw. You'll not that I've rarely drawn them over the last year. This wasn't a conscious choice, I just didn't have need to, but it did mean I needed to practice. Expect quite a few feet and the occasional hand from now on because practice makes perfect no matter how boring it is for the observer.

Regardless, some of these look fairly good, some of them are a little freakish. Only two are based on real feet (and I mean real, not photos, no photo reference for once). One is mine, and one is my wife's. Don't ogle the wrong one mister fetishist please.


And Finally
Just some random sketches that I thought were fun. I now realise I missed one, so that can go in next months round. Why a dinosaur pirate with a robot parrot (Though at least one person thinks it's an alligator - I can live with that)? My son's birthday is rapidly approaching and he wants a pirate dinosaur robot party. He's turning 4, what can you do? I like him (Dino Pirate, Son is a given), though I wished I'd used some reference for his hat as it looks a little wonky to me.

Top right is a demon/fairy/bat-girl thing. I don't recal why I drew that one, but I sort of like her - maybe I'll do a more finished piece. Finally there's Guffaw the Mighty... I mean Thor the Mighty, from the upcoming motion picture experience. I'm quite looking forward to it, even though I evidently can't draw him.

No comments:

Post a Comment