Sunday, December 19, 2010

uDraw A Poster...

Today's lame pun post title is brought to you by the letter U and the number 500.

Several weeks ago someone thought it would be a great idea to do a cross promotion between the local Children's Science Museum and the local video game studio (where I work).  We wouldn't be promoting the studio's games though - those would be utterly unsuitable for a children's museum, rather we would be showing off the uDraw tablet which is produced by our parent company (as has been mentioned before).  This isn't sarcasm by the way, it really was a great idea.  Give away some goodies, give the local museum and the new tech some exposure and generally have a great time.

So, somewhere around the end of November there was a general call to arms for volunteers, and since I'd been using the uDraw for a bit already I felt duty bound to do so, and said as much in my response.

Since I already had a tablet, Laurel, the lady organizing the event on the Studio side, asked me to bring it in to show it off to those organizing it on the museum side (including Deb, who used to work for the Studio, so we all knew each other).

Unfortunately, while I brought the tablet I forgot the software, so that was a bust. As a result of my ineptitude though I was asked to provide some art work for the flyer using uDraw.  I said OK of course.  The museum supplied some photographs and asked me to pick one, which I did; a nice picture of a lizard (I think it's a one of the museum's male Bearded Dragons, but I'm no expert).  This was the result:


Which took about two hours. I have to admit this is not the original uDraw version - As I've mentioned before the uDraw is highly dependent on the settings of your TV, and mine is set to be really bright, so I've tweaked the levels to better represent how the image looks on TV. They print fine in my experience, they just lose a little in the transition from TV to monitor. Anyway...

I finished it, looked pleased and then re-read the email. I had failed to read the text below the bottom of the window which needed me to scroll down - it said that the picture should not be intimidating to non-artists... Ooops.

Round two - same picture, but done much faster, and less intimidating:


And this is the one they picked for the flyer. One of the reasons it's taken so long to post this is because I wanted a copy of the flyer for prosperities sake, and now I've finally manged to get one to scan:


So now you know where I work! Remember, my work there does involve art, but not traditional 2D stuff - the quality of my illustrations has nothing to do with the quality of the work I do there, 'k? Good, glad we got that sorted.

So time went by, Thanksgiving came and went (but that's another post) and then December 4th arrived. But that too is another post, and for that... Read on MacDuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment