Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bow Ties Are Cool

I neglected to mention in the previous post as to why I've not done all that much work lately, and I also recall that some time ago I would explain why my Dad's Birthday sucked and why October 5th is the worst day of the year.  The answer is that it's the Anniversary of my dad shuffling off this mortal coil.  I am, and have been for the past 18 years, a complete wreck during the last week of September and the first couple in October.  OK, are you all depressed yet?  Well, look at the picture after the break, Matt Smith's not looking to jolly either.

The 11th Doctor (Smith)

Yes, it's another Doctor Who Caricature. This one is interesting because I didn't just copy a picture of Mr. Smith and modify it, rather I worked from several pictures and created the initial line work from that - then I lit it using one photo as a reference, but based the colour palette on a completely different photo. Given all that I think it turned out quite well. Not very flattering, but I think you can tell it was him.

OK, some "in progress" pics.


You'll notice on the partially painted one that I paint the colours in rather blotchy, and then refine it later. I'll talk more about the techniques behind these in the next post, but I think the blotchy look is rather interesting in and of itself.  You can also see that I refined the line drawing for his shirt, but didn't draw in the tie.  I just riffed it on at the end.  I also made several changes to the composition of his face as I went along; moving his mouth, shaving down his chin.  It's still fairly clearly the same work, just that the end result is better.  Not happy with his hair - must do better next time...  Oh, I did.  But you'll have to wait to learn about that one.

Incidentally, technically I guess "Geronimo!" is supposed to be this Doctor's catchphrase, but "Bow ties are cool," is just so much more memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment