Friday, May 26, 2017

Fassinating

Hey, didn't I say I was going to post more, right before I vanished for 4 months?  Yeah, sorry about that.  Won't Might happen again.  I'm not going to go into why it's taken me so long to write a new post, mostly because I'm not entirely sure myself.  I have a fair bit of catching up to do though!

So, what's happened since I've been away?  Well, I presented at GDC, got a new position at work (I'm an Associate Art Director now), which also means I completed the project I was working on, and did an album cover (sort of - I think I was working on it when I wrote the last post).  More on some of that next time.

This post focusses on something that I did before all that though, even before the last post.  Last August in fact.  I thought I had posted about it at the time, but I guess I hadn't since there isn't one.
 

You can click for a larger image if you like.

So, this is a commission I did for a co-worker's Bachelor Party/Stag Do.  A friend of his wanted everyone to have T-shirts with his visage on (the Groom's, not the friend's).  Since his goes by Fass, he wanted this to be in the style of an 80's Kiss T-shirt (and gave me a shot of the T-shirt as reference).

I'm not going to go into the details of how I painted this one at each stage as I usually do, as honestly it was pretty straight forward.  Instead I'll give a rough overview now.

The main difference between this piece and my usual, was that I did it using Photoshop's airbrush tool.  I used to do a lot of art using that, but they changed it in Photoshop 7, and I didn't like the changes, so I haven't really used it since then (so, for about 10 years).  Really, there wasn't a better method for recreating the classic 80's look though, so I just went with it.  Many masks used, and I did mix up the brushes for the tongue (I used some random noise brushes there, but I was trying to replicate a spatter nozzle you might use on an airbrush anyway).

The only other thing of note was the logo.  I don't recall using the online Kiss logo maker that I've recently discovered, and I can't find a Kiss type font in my library, but I surely used one of those methods.  Seems unlikely I would just do it by hand (I could, but it would be a lot slower).  However I got the letters, I did do some editing after the fact, with changing the spacing, and altering the shape of the second S (as it is in the original logo).

OK, enough of that - here's the step by step images.  Click on the faces to enlarge (but not as much as the first one).



So that was last August.  Fass is now married, and wore his T-shirt with pride at his Stag Party.  Apparently he was quite taken with it.  I've never actually seen one of the T-shirts myself, but I'm told they came out really well, so that's good to hear.

Sorry about the images taking more time to appear than usual - the amount of red in them is making JPEG sulk like a moody 8 year old, so I've used PNG instead.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, congratulations on getting promoted to Associate Art director. This is some really good art. I wish I could make stuff like this but unfortunately I can’t ever make the other eye right.

    ReplyDelete