Saturday, January 18, 2014

Speeding Toward 40

Some of you may have noticed there was a bit of a gap between the last two posts. Since I started the blog there have been only five occasions that I haven't succeeded in posting more than once in a month. Last December was unusual in that the sole post was on the first day of the month, and then I didn't post again until almost two weeks into this month, so I think that's the longest gap in posts so far.

 Fortunate then that I wasn't just twiddling my thumbs the whole time, but managed a reasonable amount of productivity. I did some sketching, went on holiday, did some cool things at work, built a reasonably big Lego kit, knocked out that cover for Phil (it was basically finished already though), completed a commission (which I can't show for reasons I won't go into, but it took a reasonable amount of time and turned out reasonably well - it was reasonably challenging as well), and did a handful of speedpaints, the sharing of which is the focus of this post. For a change, I'm reasonably happy with the amount of work completed. There's that word again - I think I use it a reasonable amount.

Let's get started then eh?


Time Taken: 90 Minutes
Software: ArtRage Studio Pro
Based on: This image by Ahrum-Stock

I realised I wasn't terribly good are reproducing things in perspective without a great deal of time spent on measuring things out back when I was working on, well, pretty much every image I've ever done. I also realised recently that I've done very few paintings or sketches where the subject was human and they were not also white. A quick review of all the speedpaints I've done shows that before this one only 5 were of people were not caucasian (and of those you could only really tell with two of them). Out of about 160 pieces, most of them featuring people, that's pretty poor going. So when I saw the photo by Ahrum-stock linked above I thought "I should paint that! It's a really cool photo, it combines both of my weaknesses, and I really, really need the practice."


I quite like the result. I mean it's a long way from perfect. It's only looks vaguely like the subject in the photo, and the perspective is still a ways off (as it is for almost all of the speedpaints here - I think I may just need to suck it up and do the measuring for these types of shots - even if it means slower speedpaints). Still, taken on it's own merits it's a pleasant looking piece. At least I think so - and I think that so rarely it's probably true (Others have told me too though - I think that's probably a better measure).



I did capture a timelapse of my painting it - though it was recorded after the fact, so you only get the completed strokes, not what I was doing with the software at the time. Even current technology has some limitations, so it was this or nothing. If you don't want to watch it you'll probably do fine looking at the step by step image I posted further above.


Time Taken: 90 Minutes
Software: ArtRage Studio Pro
Based on: A photo of Jung Se On I found via Pinterest.

Another 90 minute one, another person of a different ethnicity to my own. Not much to add except that I'd been meaning to paint this one for a while but kept chickening out as I didn't think I could do it justice. I was right as it goes, but there are elements of the color I think came out well - and some things that may require further exploration in future. Possibly with another picture of Jung Se On as I can think of worse people to be constantly staring at for 90 minutes.


As you can see I had to move and repaint her eyes a few times over the hour and a half, even though I actually did a little measuring before I laid down the paint (I need both more practice and patience with this part obviously - I usually do better when I'm not speedpainting). You can also see that I painted over her hair with the background colour at the last minute - this was to draw the attention back onto the face as personally my eyes kept being drawn to the top of her head, and I felt that might be a common issue.


Time Taken: 30 Minutes
Software: ArtRage Studio Pro
Based on: The photo from this blog post (found on pinterest).

Decided to mix things up and paint a profile, using tools in ArtRage I wouldn't usually use (I think it was felt tip pen and chalk). I really liked the source for this - really nice colours and the combination of the scarf, her glasses and her hair made for an interesting composition.


For once I think the layout art I did was pretty good, but I can't say that for the end result. I'd challenged myself to do this in 30 minutes, and so it was done, but I spent more than half the time getting the lineart right, not leaving me with much time to actually paint.  I'd love to go back and do something similar with a bit more time spent one day.


Time Taken: 60 Minutes
Software: ArtRage Studio Pro
Based on: This image by Random Acts Creative

Now I'm probably in trouble with the wife for saying that Jung up there was not hard on the eye, so I'd like to say that if I was into dudes I suspect Raj here, LL below and Ahrum at the top would likely not be considered munters. Just saying.


Anyway, this one is way off, but again looks reasonably good on its own merits if you don't compare too closely with the source. I have to admit, I mostly chose this one because he looks like he's doing Captain Jack cosplay (Harkness, not Sparrow), and that's sort of awesome.


Time Taken: 50 Minutes
Software: ArtRage Studio Pro
Based on: This image by LL

Yes, I painted another white guy - I just liked the source material though - the colours were great and I thought I'd take the opportunity to experiment a little again. This time I pushed the colour far more than I normal would be inclined to, and I used much "thicker" paint.


The perspective is all wrong as usual, but there is some likeness to the source and I really like how I got the colour on his back and shoulder to work with the background colour - that's a look I like and would happily try for again.

If you were curious as to the title of the post, today is my 40th birthday, so these mark the final speedpaints of my 30's.  Did I improve since I started a few years ago?  Well, I certainly hope so - but I also have a long, long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment