Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sketching For March '13

I don't have much to say today.  Yes it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted, and yes this sketching post is a bit late this month, and yes I have yet to complete part two of the last A Musing post.  I could give reasons and excuses as I usually do but what's the point?  Sure, my wife was sick last week but since she spent most of that time in bed I could still have snuck off and written a blog post, but obviously I failed to.  No, I was far to busy playing video games (Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider mostly, I preferred the later, but they were both pretty solid, even if I preferred the original Bioshock to Infinite), and watching TV.  And sketching!  I did do a lot of sketching this week (though you don't get to see it until next month of course).  OK, more at the bottom, lets go look at some "Art."   I'll keep writing it to a minimum until the end of the post though.  Most of it would be what I say every month anyway...


Free Sketching
Given how divided my sketching topics have become of late I'm thinking of simply calling Free Sketching Head Sketching or Face Sketches from now on.  Nothing terribly exciting came out of March, but there's some reasonably solid stuff and I'm getting better at necks and positioning the head on a pair of shoulders (I've done well at that a few times in the past, but it was usually more down to luck than judgement I think).


Figure, Anatomy and Form
Again, nothing earth shattering here, but some half competent stuff all the same.  Very happy with the progress I'm making on twisting forms and a feeling of solidity, but it's clear there's a long way left to go before I'm actually happy with most of what I produce.


Sketch Failures
The only really good thing I can say about most of these is that 18 months ago these would have been in the other sketch collections and something far worse would be in the failure image.  It's an odd way to gauge progress, but it's the only objective one I really have.

I realized that the only way I was ever going to improve at this anatomy m'larky was to just draw, and draw, and draw some more, and refer to my books and such as I went along, and I've been really trying to do that over the last few weeks, even when I've not really wanted to.  I still have a long way to go, but I'm doing better with the abdomen and chest and a little better with the hips.  You can see a little of that progress in today's images, though not as much as I would like.
I need to work on poses a little, and a lot on the back, and then a huge amount on the legs (I'll probably get to that in earnest next month).  It's slow progress, what with me pushing 40 and my brain not being as fast to pick up on things as it was, but I'm hoping that this time next year will see me able to draw a full figure as well as I can draw a head now.  Not perfect, but much improved.  Time will tell if I succeed in that goal.
Okay, for someone who had little to say today I've sure just said a lot.


And that's it for this month (probably).  Next month will mark the third anniversary of the blog, and I plan on looking back at some of the progress I've made in that time (That may be a short post then ;)).  Until then, have a good one, and stay out of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment