Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sketching for November '12

And here is the second sketching post this month, which brings us all up to date on that until January. I still haven't got much juice back for additional sketching/speedpainting, though I have manage a little of both - most of it appalling. You still get to see it along the line though, because that's the entire point of the blog, yes? I'm also hoping to finish the painting I was working on at my painting class this week. That said I've meant to sit down and work on it for the past 3 days and haven't managed to, so we'll see if I can manage it.

Really though, I don't have a great deal to cover in this post, so I'll cut to the chase and get on with the images.


Free Sketching
Very little of real note here - mostly middle of the road stuff.  The woman in the top left (also the icon for this post) is somewhat disappointing since she looks good in my sketchbook, but terrible scanned (I think the sketch may have been a little light).  The rest very between good and almost terrible, though I'm really quite happy with the eye and the girls tu-tu.  On the left, under the woman, are two stylistic experiments - the man I just decided to draw quite narrow and quite liked the result, while the girl is clearly a ailed attempt at a more Manga look, but I think it's interesting enough to show.


Figure Practice
That the figures I'm predominantly showing here are female is mostly just a coincidence; I drew lots of guys too, but they were either so sketchy it wasn't worth scanning them or I'd done them too light to really make them out once I had scanned them.  None of them were particularly great anyway (though few of them were complete failures either).  Sketches of note here are the girl in the lower middle - this was a failed attempt at drawing a flat-chested woman - instead she looks like a woman with a guy-chest.  The woman in the lower right... I don't know what I was trying to draw - is she pregnant? bloated? infested with alien plague?  No idea, but it's an interesting visual nevertheless.

I still really need to get back to practicing hands and feet (and all the other anatomy in between).


From Reference
My Father-in-Law, Sister-in-Law and Chewbacca the dog (terrible likeness), along with "random dude in a restaurant," were the only things I really had to show after Thanksgiving (with one more in the failures below).  Not sure why, but it was particularly difficult to draw this year - fewer people moving around more or something, I don't know.  The other two sketches are based on Stock photographs from  PhotoStockMarket and im-stocking-you from DeviantArt.


Abject Failures
At first glance these may appear fairly respectable, but the person on the left looks like neither a guy nor a girl but somewhere creepily in between, the person in the middle was another experiment with style but turned out creepy instead of cool, and the right most sketch is of my Brother-in-Law but could not look less like him if I had tried.  So, while there are worse sketches in my sketchbook, these were definitely the most disappointing.  Yuck.

So, until the next time, have a Merry Christmas, or whichever seasonal alternative you celebrate   I'll probably not post until afterwards, but hopefully before the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment