Saturday, June 30, 2012

Experimenting at Speed

I've had my system in it's current configuration for a little over two years - Slightly before my starting the blog in fact. In that time I have not had a single virus on my machine until the one I caught during the Grave Yard Haunt commission. I've now got another one. Annoyed does not quite cover it.

I've spent a good chunk of the day removing it from my system, but there seems to be some residual junk left (or I have a third unidentified one on here) as my system is now running like crud. And yes, I'm running a virus checker - in fact I've got three running as I type. It's taken me half an hour to get this far into the post as things keep locking up, so let's see if I can actually get this post published before midnight eh? You'll forgive me if I keep things brief.

The focus this month has been on experimenting with techniques different to those I usually employ - all of them are done using the oil brush and/or palette knife, but with very different settings; all in ArtRage as usual.


Time Taken: 60 Minutes

This one uses fairly thick wet paint with a low load and square brush and a lot of loaded palette knife. It's based on this lovely image by Magickstock on deviantart.


Time Taken: 35 Minutes

In this one I'm using a similar amount of thinner to my usual stuff, but with a round brush (I tend toward rectangular) and wet paint.


Time Taken: 25 Minutes

Thin wet paint with a square brush. This one did not go well, but that's only half due to the settings I was using - the other half is because I'm inept.


Time Taken: 20 Minutes

I love this one - it's my favourite speed paint for a while. Thick wet paint with a round brush, and then painted over with thinned dry paint on a square brush. I really like the result.


Time Taken: 60 Minutes

You just get the censored version of this one (I'm erring on the side of caution with the blog and facebook). It's based on this image by chamberstock - though you may need to be a member of deviantart to see it due to nudity.

That's all for today - sorry for the brevity. I did have a couple of stages of two of these images that may have been of interest, but I'll either have to come back when the system is clean, leave it for a future post, or just not show them on the blog. I do have another post (for the latest commission) all ready to go, but I really need to scrub my system clean before I can write it. Should be in the next few days. Oh, and I'm rolling the sketches of May and June into the same post since there was so little sketching in June. Okay, I'm done, off to nuke my system from orbit (It's the only way to be sure). Get outta here while you still can :)

No comments:

Post a Comment