Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Best and Worst Sketching of March and April

So this post took longer than planned, but it's taken me two weeks to work through all the sketches I did in the previous two months. As usual I had vastly underestimated the number of sketches I'd managed to do in that time.
April had very few sketches of course, which you could have guessed since I was away for a good chunk of it, and what I did while I was away was covered in the previous post, but March had far more than I expected. I could have posted something else I suppose, but in all honesty I had nothing else of interest. I have some stuff in the works, but I wasn't (and I'm still not) in a position to write them up yet, and while it was the blog's 2nd birthday the other day I was too busy to do anything for it - maybe the next post will be a belated birthday post.
But for now, to the sketches...


Figure and Perspective Practice
Not a lot to say about this - I really need to work on my anatomy still (I keep putting it off, and then learn a tiny bit before putting it off for a while again and then coming back to it - not the most conducive way to learn). There are a couple here I'm really pleased with, but in the main it's all a little meh. I am getting happier with the proportions though, but I think my heads still tend toward being a little small.

Free Sketching
While the figure sketching was all a little dull, there are some free sketches I'm really quite pleased with. As usual they're predominantly heads, because I like drawing heads and I'm still a long way from getting them right, but here I think I got a few good ones. Oh, by the way, there are two images there, you need to enlarge them separately, if you have a mind to.
So, in the upper image I quite like the profile picture of the girl in the lower right, as well as the rather angry looking woman above her (or is she in pain... I think she looks ticked off either way). There are a handful of caricatures (The large girl, who was more a study in shadow than anything, the chubby chap to Miss Angry's right and the girl in the trucker cap), and the triangle of guys in the top left are pretty natural looking - I'm particularly pleased with the lowest of them.
In the second image things aren't quite as good (in my opinion), but I do like the elven girl in top right (Elf ears are cute, alright?), and the girl next to her - the others are all varying amounts of OK, but not really worth dwelling on.

Works from Reference
Not a lot to say beyond what I referred to, except that there are more misses here than hits, particularly with the eyes of the two guys - neither is dreadful, but the eyes are wrong so they don't look like who they're supposed to. Working clockwise from top left the pictures are:
  • Bore by Ictoa
  • Figure 5 from Katlovestock
  • A poor sketch of a model I found on a pic site (where they never give credits unfortunately)
  • Dean from Supernatural
  • Jeans Stock 47 - Contemplating from Akissi
  • Dirty Harry (with bad eyes and no gun)
  • My Mother in Law (she was watching children's TV with my son at the time)
  • Another sketch of the model I mentioned above, but this time more stylized (I prefer this one, though it's less accurate)  
The chances of Akissi turning up again are fairly high because she has a wonderfully expressive face, and lots of cool stock. katlovestock will probably pop up again too, because she does really phenomenal poses with good lighting and, well, she's appeared before.


Oh Dear 
Really, words fail me - these were actually the worst, as well as the most disappointing. I think the most irritating thing about them is how close each of them comes to being not terrible in some ways. Really though, Stretch Armstrong Waist, a Hermaphrodite and a man with eyeliner... if I ever actually need to draw any of those things I now know where to look for reference. Yuk.

OK, until the next time... I'll try to do that late birthday post, and I have a couple of other things I might be able to do - but the next fully finished piece of work is probably a few weeks off at least. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment