Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Point Five Past Lightspeed

Here we are again with another round of speedpaints. Let me warn you that herein lies some of the best speedpainting I've ever done, but also some dross that will burn your eyeballs and make you revise any opinions you may have of me as a "good artist" (yes, I've awkwardly been called that two or three times in the last week).

Consider yourself warned anyway, and proceed with caution for what is seen cannot be unseen (and so on and so forth)...


Time Taken: 50 Minutes

In theory this is a portrait of my son, and for the first time it's probably actually recognizable as being him. For all that though it's not a terribly good piece. what with his eyes being wonky and all. Still, I like the general vibe of it - perhaps I'll do something similar to it with some more time put in one day.


Time Taken: 60 Minutes

Based on this stock, I'm quite pleased with this one, although I don't think it really does the model that much justice I did have some fun painting her hair. Not much else to say, except for the terrible admission that this was not my first crack at this. usually if I mess up I either just close the software without saving or keep painting over the top (without resetting the timer). This time I saved the original disaster because I liked the background and didn't have time to keep painting over the top just then...


The time for the failure (10 minutes) is still included in the total time of the nicer paint above. Seriously though, you'll note that she looks like Marylin Manson, and has a HUGE HEAD. Thankfully I usually spot disasters early so I can avert them, but on this occasion you can see it yourself... Yuk


Time Taken: 70 Minutes

This isn't the worse thing I've ever done (just scroll up a bit for the evidence y'r Honour) but it also wasn't really worth the 70 minutes I put into it. It is supposed to be the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and is not a great likeness. I think I got the expression right though because lots of people still seem to recognise him.

There's a story to this one by the way. I have a son (as you know since I posted his portrait right up there), and he, naturally has friends. Two of these friends are terrified of me. Well, one of them is the little sister of his friend, but close enough. By terrified I mean running from the room screaming scared of me. I've never shouted at them, or looked threatening (well, no more than my overweight 6'4" frame is naturally looming about the place), they just don't like me.

Anyway, I posted said fact on facebook, and of course one of my friends (who is a geek and a wag and a lovely girl honest) posted a photo of the Child Catcher on my wall, so naturally I then had to paint it (to be honest he still scares the willies out of me after all these years, I think I was confronting my fears).

Incidentally, Robert B. Sherman, the songwriter for that film, sadly passed away this week - my choice of this as a subject is entirely coincidental.


Time Taken: 80 Minutes
Do I really have to explain this one to you? Really? It's Han Solo!

I think I did a pretty good job on this one, and judging by the reception it's had among my friends they were quite pleased with it too. Horray me. Of course just in case I started to get a big head my next piece was less than stellar. "Don't get cocky kid," as the man himself said.  

You'll note I've now taken to using a reduced signature on speedpaints I like.  Saves time, and it's fairly distinctive - I like it.


Time Taken: 15 Minutes

Yes, it was done in 15 minutes, and no I didn't have any reference (I was working from memory), but that doesn't mean it's any good. I quite like the colour, but that's about it.


Time Taken: 65 Minutes

Not much to say about this one. Not because I can't, but because I'll be covering it in some detail in my next post. is it any good in my opinion? Wait and see...

By the By
I mentioned Robert B. Sherman's passing a little way up the page, and while I made a conscious decision not to cover the death of artists on this Blog back before Frazetta died, I feel it would be remiss of me not to mention the passing of two other greats over the past few weeks. Jean "Moebius" Giraud; probably best known for his work on Alien, Tron and Heavy Metal, died on the 10th of March. Ralph McQuarrie; best known for his work on the original Star Wars trilogy, but a concept and Matte artist on many other films, passed on March 3rd. Rest in Peace Gentlemen, may your legacy last for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment