Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Midweek Madsanity

It's not usual for me to post on a Tuesday, but it just so happens that tonight I came home at a reasonable time, had a Son that went straight to sleep at bed time, had practically nothing to watch on TV (watched one shortish show), and I don't fancy playing a game. This means it's not even 9PM and I find myself in front of my PC. I can't remember the last time that happened when it wasn't a weekend!

With all those stars aligning you'd expect I'd have something fantastic to show right? Sorry, out of luck today - Just some sketches from the last few weeks. I actually prepped these over the weekend (scanned, laid out uploaded etc.), but didn't get time to write the related post, so here it is.


Good
Quite a bit to see in there. Nothing today is truly outstanding (same as any other day there then), but I do like the dimensionality of some of these. The proportions may be off, and the anatomy a bit wonky, but some of these actually looks like they're sort of 3d - either in terms of mass, or in terms of emotion. None of these were drawn from reference, and yet the Hulk-a-like in the top left corner is clearly rather angry (You don't like him do you?), The girl in the robe is quite pleased with her morning coffee (looks a little like my wife as it goes), And the small figure under Hulk-a-lot has some attitude to her pose. I'm quite pleased given that they're all off the top of my head, even though I still clearly have a long way to go.


Bad
It's fairly sad that of the two sketches that were from reference this time both of them ended up in the Bad pile. The first is the inked one. He was based on a character from Castle while it was paused and my wife was off trying to get the lad to go back to sleep (he had a cold). I can't help but think that had the paused image been of Beckett the end result would have been rather better (A little Stana Katic makes everything a better IMO).

The other is in the bottom right corner, and if you can even work out what it's a sketch of I'll be impressed. It was hands down the worst thing I'd drawn int he last couple of weeks, so in it goes. Other than that there's the usual collection of freaks, mutants and almost but not quite goods. The girl in the middle would be pretty good if it was just her head - but with the rest of her body in there it just looks peculiar. Maybe it's the lack of perspective, or maybe I just suck.

OK, enough of that, here are some more feet!


Ugly

Yeah, I threw in a crane and a couple of drawings of a helmet too (the astute readers will already have guessed what the next Blart is, if I ever bring myself to do it properly). I just figured that nobody wants to look at a picture that's nothing but a bunch of poorly rendered feet, so I added the bonus. Hopefully you'll see a difference in the quality of the feet in my other sketches too (in as much as some of them have them), but I still need a reference for anything remotely decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment