Thursday, October 28, 2010

I Feel the Need...

Hopefully a very quick post tonight because I'm about to retire ("Really? But you seem so young," "I meant for the night Doctor"). Before we get down to the art a couple of blog related things. Firstly that ghastly visitor counter has gone, I don't know what possessed me to add it in the first place. Secondly clicking the thumbnails from now on will expand the post - no more needing to click the title or the More button. It's been this since the beginning of the month, but I realise I failed to mention it - older posts still need the title clicked, but I may go back and fix them all. There you go Bro, no excuse for not visiting now.

Anyway, on to Speed Painting...
What is speed painting?  Well, it means different things to different people, but to me it's cranking out a half decent piece in a very short space of time (Under an hour, preferably in under half that).  Usually these pieces look a lot better as thumbnails than they do at the size they're painted and for that reason they're all shrunk down on this post - you can click them to see them full size...  probably.  All of these were done in Artrage (There are a couple of people who do this sort of thing with real paint - for the rest of us there are impedances such as Paint having a drying time, mixing the colours taking a while, that sort of thing).  All of them are based on photographs, and most of them have had a few base colours sampled directly from the source; two or three in each case to get a base colour range down, but more on this later.

You want to just get on and see the pieces don't you?  Okay then.

 15 Minutes
  30 Minutes
 20 Minutes
 20 Minutes
 25 Minutes
 35 Minutes
 20 Minutes
 25 Minutes
40 Minutes

I must admit I didn't realise I'd done so many until I laid them out like that.  Surprised myself there.  Anyway, as I said, you can click on them for a larger version (still not the size I painted them mind you, but you still get a better idea of the construction).

Finally, here's a step by step of that last one - The images were created at 1 Minute, 15 Minutes, 30 Minutes and the final one is the one linked above at 40 Minutes.  The first image also shows all of the colours I sampled for th eimage - from there on out I just used the colour picker in the corner of the software.  No need to click this one, it doesn't get any larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment