Saturday, July 24, 2010

We Coulda Been Contenders

While I don't post everything I draw or do on this blog I do post a good cross section of the stuff that takes ten minutes or less, and anything that takes longer than that is probably going to end up here, good or bad.  This post sees a couple of works that took very different times to create, but neither of them really worked out.  One of them took quite a bit of time, and then I gave up with the piece still unfinished, the other was just a colour sketch with some good qualities, but that just didn't cut the mustard overall.  Both were done in ArtRage. I may come back and redo or finish them one day, but for now they're in the failure pile.

Faliure Lady

Failure Lady

I think the name of the piece pretty much sums up my feelings on this one.  There's a lot to like about it, the pose is quite effective, the dress is of an interesting design, the cleavage to neck area looks good, but I'm still not really happy with it.  The lighting is flat and kinda lifeless, the face is almost pretty but misses the mark, and her expression looks like somebody just shot her pet budgie.  I called it quits, but I think I may revisit some aspects of the pose or the dress at some point in the future; there's potential here, but it just wasn't working out. This one took quite a while before I gave up on it, 4 or 5 hours i think.

Asian Lady

Asian Lady

Again, there's some potential here, but it didn't really rk out as I wanted. Took about half an hour, and I like the eyes and her hand but everything else is sort of lame. She looks years older than the reference I used and apparently her mouth and chin are at a different scale to the rest of her face. I do quite like the colours and overall style though. The woman it's based on didn't have pink hair, but I ended up with it due tot he wonky color corner on the monitor, and liked it. Pink hair for the win!

Short and sweet. I must be mad to share the disasters with you as well as the wins. I'll spare you the step by step on Failure Lady; maybe if I revisit her you'll get to see them one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment