Sunday, July 25, 2010

BLART #3 Blue Beetle

The Blue Beetle name covers three different heroes dating from 1939 and currently published by DC comics.  I feel sort of bad given that these guys have had a long history yet I've never heard of any of them until now.
Given that I knew nothing of the character I gave myself a strict 2 hour deadline (including research) to crank something out. In retrospect I think I should have spent longer on it; the version I chose to draw at least has quite a following and is apparently well respected, but with the tight time limit I made a bit of a mess of him.

BLART 3: Blue Beetle

Yep, he looks a bit lame doesn't he. This is mostly my fault, although to be honest it's not the most interesting costume in comic history. This iteration of Blue Beetle (Ted Cord is his real name) died during the Death of Superman run, but I have no recollection of him even though I read that strip. Anyway, irrespective of his garb I did a fairly dreadful job of drawing him, Bits of it look good, but overall the perspective is off, the anatomy is off and the inking is uninspired. Maybe I'll go back and do him more justice one day (but probably not).

On the other hand the car  looks pretty good. You could almost believe I do something with vehicles for the day job. It's a lame pun, but the car saves the picture so I think it's worth it (and really, what else would the Blue Beetle drive?).

No step-by-step on this one as the self inflicted time limit ruled it out, but I'm also including the direct scan without colour tinting so you can see exactly what ended up on the paper (click to enlarge).

1 comment:

  1. I'm reminded of that episode where the really massive bloke in the tiny car gets out and scares nelson for laughing at him. nice work, almost like 3 good bits from other pictures scrapbooked together to make a not so good collage.

    ReplyDelete