Monday, May 10, 2010

The Best and Worst of Figure Drawing (Week 8)

And now, the end is near (and so I face the final curtain)...  Yup, the last week of figure drawing, bringing me, more or less, up to date.  OK, so it was a week ago last Friday, but I've been too sick to draw much since then, so there's not much else to cover until I do.  That said, I do have some ideas for a couple of posts to tide me over while I draw something else for your attention.
The topic for this weeks session was once again Costume, and our model once again brought two.  The first was a black and blue dress with Tiger stripes, the second was a sort of 50's thing that would have looked right at home in Grease.  Don't be looking for the tiger stripes in the sketches though, I didn't have time to add them, and the leopard style print of the 50's top is also not really done justice below.
 FigureDrawing7-Good
Good:
Yeah, there are some misteps here - the proportions of the lower left (She sort of looks squooshed in a way that's very odd), and there are some minor issues elsewhere, but overall these are pretty good.  I'm especially pleased with the central figure (more in a moment) and with the one to the right (even though her arm looks a bit flabby).  The central one is interesting because it fully filled the page it was drawn on.  Top of her head was toughing the top of the pave, bottom of her toe was touching the bottom.  I've never managed to compose an image that well in my life before, so that's pretty cool.

For the record the images shown on here are usually compiled from several pages, composed, cleaned up and then posted, but with no major changes to the source beyond scale and contrast.
 FigureDrawing7-Bad
Bad:
Again, the bad stuff is getting better (or fewer I suppose) even if the good stuff isn't.  Three honestly bad ones out of all the ones I drew (and even that with a surprisingly crippling headache).  That's pretty amazing to me.

 I have a friend who also did the figure drawing course (and who is far better than I) who really likes the one on the right, but I can't get past the complete mess I made of the poor girls face. It looks like she's swallowed a Quasimodo doll or something; yeah, like a hunch-face!  Crazy.  The other two are just blobby mutations, although the cloth is rendered adequately I guess.

The record shows I took the blows...

1 comment:

  1. nice to see some pen and ink cross hatching coming back into play, you always did have a flair for that!

    ReplyDelete