Monday, May 3, 2010

The Best and Worst of Figure Drawing (Week 2)

Week 2 of figure drawing took an unexpected turn; I was far worse than during week 1.  This struck me as a little strange, and in retrospect I wonder if I was simply more relaxed and feeling less pressured during week 1.  Then again, I did experiment a little more in week 2, and had a new sketchbook, all of which could be factors conspiring against reasonable quality work.
As before I will be showing only a small selection of images, but overall the majority of the work this week was leaning toward the poor end of the quality spectrum (Not the worse week of the sessions, but close).
FigureDrawing2-Good
The Good:
Some reasonably good work here, and some not so good stuff that I just liked the look of (particularly the two figures in the lower right).  These run an interesting gamut from really sketchy (leftmost), through very stiff and mannered (Upper middle) to very flowing, almost dance like (upper right).
I particularly like the very stiff looking one in the middle, not because it's a particularly impressive result, but because I did it without my usual 'flailing' for the line; something that is particularly apparent on the pencil sketch to the left.
My favourite of all of these though is the one used in the thumbnail  (lower left).  There's just something about the strong form coming through the chaos of the line work that appeals to me.
FigureDrawing2-Bad
The Bad:
The less said about this lot the better I think.  I must admit I do quite like the face, despite it looking nothing like the model.  In later weeks I did do a couple of images that looked a little more like her - you'll just have to wait for those though.

No comments:

Post a Comment