Friday, May 21, 2010

Facing the Facts

I've not been practicing anywhere near as much as I should have over the past few weeks.  Those figures you saw in the last post?  Between the good and the bad that was about 80% of what I'd drawn, barring what now constitutes this post and the next.  That's just not really enough.  Yeah, I could come up with excuses (I was sick, I was working late, my son was being a pooper; all true BTW), but at the end of the day how hard is it to pick up a pen or pencil and draw something?  Right.

So, anyway, after the disaster that was the profile portrait of Nephania I figured it was time to get some practice drawing faces and heads:

May12thtoMay18th_Portraits

No good or bad this time (or the next as it goes), just a general collection.  So, these aren't terrible, but they really don't look a lot like the images they were based on (except the Iron Giant, he's a dead ringer).  Clearly more work is needed in this area, but for sketches that only took five minutes at most I ain't complaining too much.

I'm especially pleased with the expression of the girl to the right (who is also todays star thumbnail), and Mr. Top Left, who looks a lot scarier that the photo he's based on, but still worked out looking quite good.  If you happen to be looking at these images and think "Hey, I think that's me" then assume it is you, especially if we're related...

If you're wondering where the source images I'm referring to come from it's a folder on my desktop titled "Head Refs".  I do an image search for something (Like "Heads" natch) and then just grab anything and everything that looks remotely interesting and throw them in a folder (I do the same for any unrelated image search too, so there's plenty of images).  Then I set up a random slideshow with a time limit of 1 minute per image.  If  I want more time on the image I click back to it once the next one pops up, and it stays for another minute, allowing me to keep track of time.  Smart see?

No?  Oh. Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment